Protective and Delicious Recipe of the Week
Chicken Roulade with Spinach, Red Peppers and Parsley
Spinach and parsley are high in the amino acid glutamine, which helps maintain the health of the digestive system. The health of the gut is a reflection of the health of the body and mind.
Chicken is pounded thin and wrapped around garlicky spinach, red peppers, parsley, currants, and pine nuts. If you don’t have spinach kale or swiss chard work just as well. The result is an elegant chicken dish that pleases the eyes and stomach.
2 6 oz. organic chicken breasts
4 T. extra virgin olive oil
½ bunch spinach, chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
salt and pepper
2 tsp. paprika
1 T. dried oregano
2 small roasted red peppers chopped
3 T. parsley
3 T. pine nuts, toasted
2 T. currants
pinch red pepper flakes
string, pre-soaked in water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Heat 2 T. olive oil on medium high heat in a medium sauté pan. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add the spinach, pinch of salt, and red pepper flakes to the garlic and sauté for a couple minutes, or until the greens are wilted.
4. Split each chicken breast in half and pound with a meat mallet between sheets of plastic wrap. Be careful not to make it too thin or the chicken will fall apart. Season on both sides with paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper.
5. Fill each piece with the garlicky spinach, roasted red pepper, parsley, currants and pine nuts.
5. Roll each piece of chicken tightly around the filling and tie with the string.
6. In a medium pan heat the remaining 2 T. of olive oil on medium high heat.
7. Add the chicken and brown on each side.
8. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Before serving cut the string. Then carefully slice across each bundle into ½ inch pieces.
9. Lay out on a platter and serve warm.