Delicous & Protective Recipe of the Week – Quinoa Burger
Quinoa Vegetable Burger
By Marti Wolfson
The standard American diet tends to include more than enough meat. Here’s a meatless yet satisfying burger that is packed with flavor and nutrition. Quinoa is protein-rich and when combined with beans like chickpeas makes it a more complete protein. Cancer-fighting ingredients like garlic, kale, mushrooms and scallions give this burger an all-star nutrient line-up. If you are dairy free feel remove the feta altogether or try adding a heaping tablespoon of yellow miso paste.
• 1 head garlic
• 6 T. olive oil
• 1/4 cup farro*
• 1/2 cup water
• 2.5 cups cooked red or white quinoa
• 1 cup kale, leaves removed and chopped
• 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
• 1 15oz. can chickpeas
• 2 T. chopped olives
• 2 T. minced scallions
• 1/4 cup feta
• salt and pepper to taste
• Preheat an oven to 400 degrees.
• Cut the very tip of the garlic to expose the flesh and drizzle 1/2 tsp. olive oil on top.
• Wrap in foil and place in the center of the oven for about an hour. When the garlic is done remove from the oven, open the foil and let cool.
• While the garlic is roasting, add the farro, water and pinch of salt to a small pot.
• Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer, cover the pot and cook for about 20 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
• Remove from the heat and cool. In a medium pan, add 1 T. olive oil on medium high heat.
• Add the kale and a pinch of salt and cook until tender. Remove from the heat and cool.
• Once the garlic is cool to touch, squeeze the cloves out of the skins into a food processor.
• Add the farro, chickpeas, 2 T. olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Combine until well blended (consistency of thick hummus).
• Remove the mushrooms from the soaking liquid and give them a rough chop.
• In a medium mixing bowl combine the quinoa, kale, mushrooms, olives, scallions, feta and a pinch of salt.
• Then add the chickpea mixture and combine throughly. Mixture should stick together. Shape into 8 burgers.
• Heat the remaining 2 T. olive oil in a large non-stick skillet on medium high heat. Cook 4 burgers at a time, about 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve plain or with a thin slice of greek cheese melted on top. Enjoy.
• * soak farro for 20 minutes