The decision for choosing the right treatment for your type of prostate cancer is akin to buying a house – a big one. Except, now we are talking about your body. And the decision can be life-altering.
Welcome to Prostate Cancer Confusion!
You are not alone feeling anxious, confused and even mildly depressed from your treatment options for prostate cancer.
Let me help you provide some clarity.
10 tips to figure out the best treatment for prostate cancer
- Take a deep breath (or two), and don’t panic. You need to be emotionally stable to make the best treatment choice for yourself.
- Don’t feel rushed to choose a treatment. That decision will be a life-changing, so take your time.
- Do your homework. See at least three physicians before choosing a treatment.
- Your physician is biased towards what they do. That’s normal. Still, look at the pros and cons of their treatment recommendation.
- Take good notes. Better yet, bring along your spouse or any good note-taker. You will not hear all the details the physician will say. And “the devil is in the detail” as they say.
- Do NOT tape-record the medical visit. Doctors feel funny about this, even if they say it’s OK and have nothing to hide. Your physician will be more conservative with what he says if you tape record. We live in a litigious society, and your doc will try to protect themselves.
- Listen to your family members carefully, but not too much. They love you, I know. But all they hear is the “C-word,” not prostate cancer. This is an emotional diagnosis, understandably, but the decision needs to be made as practically as possible. Ultimately, it’s your body.
- Ask your doctor whether you are a candidate for Active Surveillance. Most diagnoses’ for prostate cancer are low-grade, which makes opting for no medical treatment a viable option.
- Keep a good electronic record of your PSA, prostate biopsy and prostate cancer history. Make it easy to open the document and print as needed, or email a physician’s office.
- There are more treatments available for prostate cancer than ever before that’s not surgery or radiation. Options include focal therapy. Research all them.
After seeing thousands prostate cancer cases in my career, I can say, with certainty, that you will be fine with the decision you choose and do better if you follow the “10 things” tips above.
However, if you and your life partner think you need more clarity in choosing the best treatment for your type of prostate cancer, or if it gets confusing because every doctor you see is suggesting a different treatment, then I welcome an opportunity to help as your prostate cancer strategist.
Remember to breathe. Deeply.
Learn what food and meals work best for prostate cancer at the live event CaPLESS Eats.
CaPLESS Eat clears up the confusion on what to eat for prostate cancer.