Hi, I’m Dr. Geo.
My name is Geovanni Espinosa and I want you to live your healthiest life.
People have affectionately called me Dr. Geo for decades, thus the name stuck.
I am also a son of Cuban parents, born and raised in the Bronx, New York, and most importantly, a husband and proud dad of three amazing kids. I enjoy spending as much time with them as possible.
When not working with patients or researching, I practice strength training and the Israeli martial art, Krav Maga. Occasionally, I do Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu as well. I’m a fan of mixed martial arts and combat sports.
I believe prevention is the best medicine.
I believe almost all disease is developed by poor nutrition, behavioral and lifestyle habits.
I believe almost all disease is also caused by a toxic internal and external environment.
I believe it is your right to live a long life with optimal functionality.
And I believe holistic methods is real medicine.
What I do
I research – and then teach – the application of science to optimize health and human performance. My focus is on holistic methods to help men extend and enjoy his life, despite and beyond prostate challenges. Then, I write about it, teach it at specific events or help patients at my clinic.
My Clinical and Scientific focus:
- Prostate Cancer (all stages, strategist, PSA rise after treatment, holistic interventions, active surveillance)
- Rising PSA. Sometimes it’s related to a disease. Other times it’s not. I like to figure that out
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), also known as an enlarged prostate
- Prostatitis (The chronic type that’s a big pain in the… pelvis)
- Male Sexual Dysfunction (Everything from ejaculating too soon to not able to rise to the occasion)
- Penis pain
- Urinary frequency, urgency, and nocturia (nighttime urination.)
- Overactive Bladder (urinary frequency from a misbehaving bladder. Women too)
- Interstitial Cystitis (extreme bladder pain sometimes accompanied with excess urination
- Male Successful Aging: some would call it anti-aging but “anti” means against or opposed to. A good man should not be opposed to getting older but should be against debilitating pain, peeing all the time and dying from aging diseases. Don’t you think?
- Sports nutrition for recovery and improve athletic performance
- Pain – chronic pain or from sports-related injuries.
Board certified Naturopathic Doctor (ND) – Connecticut license (New York State does not yet offer a practitioner license for naturopathic medicine)
Certification track in Functional Medicine – The Institute of Functional Medicine
Board Certified Acupuncturist – New York license
Clinical & Registered Herbalist – American Herbalist Guild
Certified Nutrition Specialist – by the Board for Nutrition Specialists
Professional member of the American Urological Association (AUA)
Dr. Geo Espinosa is a naturopathic doctor, licensed acupuncturist and certified functional medicine practitioner recognized as an authority in holistic urology and men’s health. He is a professor and holistic clinician in Urology at New York University Langone Medical Center. As an avid researcher and writer, Dr. Geo has authored numerous scientific papers and books including co-editing the Integrative Sexual Health book, and author of the best selling prostate cancer book: Thrive, Don’t Only Survive. Dr. Geo is the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and formulator at XY Wellness, LLC and lectures internationally on the application of science-based holistic treatments in urological clinics. On his free time, he enjoys writing on his popular blog, DrGeo.com, spending time with his wife and three kids and practicing the Israeli martial art, Krav Maga.
Lastly, here is my Curriculum Vitae (CV).
A problem in medicine, especially oncology is the lack of transparency. In many cases, physicians gain profits from treatments they promote without disclosure to patients. That takes advantage of vulnerable people desperate for a cure – and simply is not acceptable. As such, I’m big on transparency.
With that in mind, I will disclose that I have created various dietary supplement formulas where I am either co-owner of the company or earn royalties from them.
Cysto Renew – a synergistic bladder health formula to restore bladder function and bring relief.
ImmunoPCTN – a researched mixture of botanicals for men and women to reduce inflammation, provide balance antioxidants and stimulate the immune system.
GDtoxSel – a balanced nutritional formula to manage oxidative stress and phase 1 / phase 2 detoxification
Mr. Happy – a perfect blend of ingredients to support vitality, energy and maximal sexual health for men.
Are you a Urologist?
No. Thank goodness! 🙂 I kid, I kid. I love urologists and admire the good work they do for patients. I have had (and still have) the absolute pleasure of working with urologists.
Here’s the difference between urologists and naturopathic & functional medicine doctors specializing in urology ( like me).
- Urologists treat disease in patients. I build a patients health.
- Urologists work from the waist down. I work with the whole body.
- Urologists treat urological organs. I treat people, not just organs.
I trained in acupuncture, naturopathic and functional medicine. Afterward, I decided to do a five-year specialization and strictly focused in men’s health, urology, and prostate cancer with Dr. Aaron Katz at Columbia University Medical Center – Department of Urology (Dr. Katz is now the chairman of Urology at Winthrop Hospital in New York).
My Medical Philosophy
- Partner with patients in identifying and treating the cause of their disease, not just mask symptoms.
- Listening carefully, a thorough physical exam and the right labs, in that order, can tell you the root cause of the health problem.
- All organ systems are connected in a web-like network, and disease of one organ system is often associated with another.
- Botanicals, nutrition, and holistic methods are powerful tools in healing chronic disease and optimize human performance.
- Pharmaceutical drugs and medical procedures are necessary and suggested in specific circumstances.
- Determine and address the patient’s individual and genetic needs.
- The clinical approach combines knowledge of the best scientific evidence, basic sciences, and clinical expertise.
Questions commonly asked
Why should I listen to you for health advice?
ANSWER: Well, you don’t have to. You should listen to question all experts and question everyone without being cynical. While I don’t have all the answers, I can provide readers and patients with reliable, objective insights that have transformed the lives of thousands of patients.
Why should I be your patient?
ANSWER: You may not have to. This website (and other good ones) provides you with useful information that can have a huge positive impact on your health. There are nuances with each specific health problem, however, the guidance of an “expert” might be necessary. After a complete physical workup and reviewing your health reports, I create an individualized health plan specific to the patient. Keep in mind though that I am a Male & Urologic Specialist. If you need prenatal care, I am not your guy.
Believe it or not, the next few questions I get asked more often that you’d think.
What do you value most?
3) Purposeful life
4) Great health
What bothers you most?
3) Close-minded physicians
5) Grumpy people
What’s your favorite past time?
1) Playing and eating with my family
2) Playing sports. Practicing Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. MMA and combat sports.
3) Watching 60 minutes, Real Sports, CBS News Sunday Morning.
4) Reading. I like biographies. My favorite biography is Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson. Frankin was an interesting, brilliant man and an inventor of many things including a device commonly used in urology – the catheter.
What’s your favorite method of exercising?
I mix it up: Cross-training, running, weightlifting, playing basketball. Anything that keeps me in shape, functioning optimally and that allows me to ‘stay in the game.’ Lastly, I practice Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.